Friday, May 25, 2007

The Misfiling of Ryan Carter

What is the play about?
What happens?
What is the climax?
What is the obstacle that the characters have to overcome?

These are basic questions to ask yourself if you're writing a play. Seems like David Gaard didn't quite get how to structure his. He had a lot to say, but the context was all wrong.

I couldn't let this go on without talking about the nudity. Don't get me wrong I like nudity, but when it's used as a gimmick, it's gross. Do you know what the actors have to go through in order to get to that place. To be comfortable with being nude in front of strangers and be aware that they could be sexualizing me. I've been nude on stage and you've got to reconcile a lot to get to that point. The nudity worked at some points. I've always wondered why when two people have finished with sex the characters are miraculously dressed.

David Gaard, the playwright, reeled me in with the promise of nudity and sexual content, but even the full monty couldn't keep my interest. Could no one see that this play needed a rewrite? Actually, it needed a clear start, middle and end.

I saw it on the first preview night and I have a request to the producers. Please clean up those scene changes. All you need on stage is a bed, bar and mantle with the occasional chair(s).

Hats off to Ryan G. Metzger for finding a truth in an underwritten character. The actors were doing the best they could with a script like that. Daniel Koenig needs to get an award for making what little sense he could out of the gibberish

Official Site

No comments: