Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lost has been found

Last season was confusing and moved too slow. Towards the end it was clear that those slow moving episodes were setting us up for a spectacular ending to Season 3 and fresh beginning to one of the best non-linear shows on TV.

I was hooked on it from day one. I was skeptical at first, but the show is about a lot more than a plane crash and being trapped on an island. It's about the passengers on that plane and the experiences that brought them to the plane in the first place. When you think about it, you never know who you're sitting next to.

Locke (pictured above) is one of my favorite characters. He symbolizes faith and healing. Two substantial ideas, I know, but when you get on a plane in a wheelchair, the plane crashes and you walk away from it, you'd believe in a power greater than yourself too. Even with that faith, he doesn't want to leave the island. I think his journey is letting go of the crutch of the island. Locke doesn't need the island to walk. His own self determination is all he needs.

The Kate-Sawyer-Jack triangle has gotten boring. Jack is the leader and moral compass of the survivors. Kate (fugitive) doesn't see herself that way. I knew she'd align herself with Sawyer (criminal) because she can sense that hunger, that fight to survive at all costs. She knows that Sawyer would understand about her past and reasons for doing certain things (like kill her step-father).

Hurly (lottery winner) hasn't been given his just do. I really liked that story about him winning the lottery and the money being a curse. He kind of had to get rid of the money in order to be free. I want the writers to explore his story further. Kudos to the person that approved the heaviest person I've seen on Network TV.

Jin-Soo and Sun Kwon's Story is beautifully told and acted. I really connected with their journey of lost love and reconnection on the island. Sun is now pregnant by her husband (she had an affair). Something they thought couldn't happen. Another strang result of the healing powers of the island.

Oh did I mention that's it's Science Fiction!

Those are just a taste. There are other characters with rich backstories that we're slowly learning about. I've found with Lost you have to sit back and enjoy the ride. It's well worth it. Especially now since they're started doing flash forwards to when "certain" survivors aren't on the island anymore.

How did they get off? Where are they?

We have to watch this season to find out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess I have to admit that I'm one of those lost ones...caught the first few and then just gave up...maybe on DVD instead?