Friday, February 8, 2008

A Dream Come True


I was just writing about how one day I wanted to go inside the Bryant Park Tents and finally it happened.

My friend A has a cousin who is a fashion designer Chris Han, who I honestly wasn't sure I had heard of before. During the day he kept talking about going to the tents and he even left early to pick up his wife, who is a buyer for a huge department store and head to Bryant Park.

Around 5pm I get a call.

"What are you doing tonight? Are you working?
"Yes"
"Oh shit"
"What, I don't work until 8pm"
"Do you want to go to my cousin's fashion show?
"Are you serious, in Bryant Park"
"Yes"

At first I thought, this isn't going to happen. It's really hard to get into the tents and I always hear about people trying and being turned away. A gave me two "names" one for a co-worker and one for me to use in order to get in (there is always a list). The only problem was that I had to be there by 5:45pm and I don't get off work until 5:30pm. I don't work far from the tents. I could have walked but I would have arrived hot and sweaty so a taxi was in order.

It was surreal to have the cab approach the tents. I saw A, who gave us our entry pass, which when I flashed got right in. I was almost shaking.

The fabulousness wasn't as intense as I thought it would be. I saw lots of colorful people inside. One woman had on a vest with flashing red green and white lights. Others were trying real hard to be the next Andre Leon Talley, who I wish I saw.

We weren't done with the velvet rope yet. We still had to get into the Salon for the 6pm show. We walk up to the "check in" station and the little "clackers" with the list said they didn't have our "fake" names, so we had to wait in "stand by". It wasn't so bad waiting because we were all excited and talked about fashion, one woman in our three person group has actually been to the Milan shows and talked about her experiences. I was trying to hold in my excitement. I don't think I did a very good job.

Picture this we're standing in the "standing room" line and it kind of felt crazy seeing others being rushed up the velvet lined stairs to the Salon for the show. At that point, I said to myself, "no one's going to stop me from getting in". I text A and let him know that the "clackers"had the nerve to put us in "standing room" and could he help us out. His Uncle is backing the collection for goodness sake!

He comes out of the Salon with his Uncle ,who tells security to let us in.

It's those moments you live for in New York City. Being waived to the front of the line and people looking and wondering who you are! It was fun. We actually had to stand because our seats were gone, which was no problem for me because I'm tall. We stood house right facing the runway, yes runway. I real runway!!! The press was packed of course facing the runway head on! It was exciting.

Celeb sightings...
Jack (Project Runway)
Nigel Barker (America's Next Top Model)
Dale (Top Chef) who was sitting next to Jack

I couldn't see the people in the front row on my side so I missed them. Oh well. Did I tell you there was champagne and red wine floating all over the tents?! It was bliss.

The moment of truth. The lights go down, come up and the dance music began. I liked her skirt length and her knits were fabulous. Her colors were muted and very wispy. Lots of black, grey, plum, blues. Very Fall very versatile. My favorite look was a black and white coat with skirt that hit above the knee. The model hair was windswept and effortless. I'd it was a "light" show as opposed to a heavy fall showing. Thumbs up! I did have a problem with the mini dresses she shows. The looks a little too light. I don't know how strong that fabric is, but I don't think it could stand up against fingernail and not get scratched.

Overall running time: 15 min.

I found there is an art to watching a fashion show.

  • 1st Model walks out you watch her all the way down.
  • 2nd Model walks out and you watch her part of the way because...
  • 3rd model is starting out.

It's sensory overload, but the best kind. They played Janet's Feedback, so I was in heaven. It couldn't have been better unless I was in the front row with Andre Leon Talley and Anna Wintour.

After the show, more champagne and wine and then I had to head down to work! I was on cloud nine. This is the cover of the program! I got other goodies, but this was a great souvenir to the experience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Holden. I know you were in absolute heaven.

Kevin said...

I was. I kept pinching myself!

Anonymous said...

OMG! See I told you....dreams do come through and when they do, its so bloody brilliant!!

Bill said...

Congrats! I am so happy you got to do this! :)