Friday, November 30, 2007

First Fruits Holiday


I find that during the Christmas holiday season I need to connect to something spiritual. I'm not a religious person, but I am a spiritual one and Kwanzaa seems like a means to connect to the source. First Fruits is the meaning of Kwanzaa FYI. I just learned that.

It's such an involved process. There's the ceremony and language that I'm excited about.

The colors of Kwanzaa are
black - people
red
- struggle
green - future and hope

There are seven candles placed in the kinara (three red, one black and three green)

Black = Umoja (unity)

Red =
  • Kujichagulia (self-determination)
  • Ujamaa (cooperative economics)
  • Kuumba (creativity)

Green =
  • Ujima (collective work and responsibility)
  • Nia (purpose)
  • Imani (faith)
The black candle is lit first followed by the red then green. This procedure is to indicate that the people come first, then the struggle and then the hope that comes from the struggle.

So, that's the plan. I have to get fabric, candles, etc.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: