Friday, September 7, 2007

Rant to Buzz Out Loud


Dear Molly, Tom and Jason,

First off I want to say that I'd love to hear more from Jason. I think he's a great addition to the Podcast!

I live in NYC and I've talked to cabbies in the city and GPS is not the central issue. Like most things in this city it's about money. The Taxi and Limousine Commission is forcing the cabbies to pay for the GPS installation and equipment as well as the credit card machines and there's a charge for each credit card transaction that will eat at their profits/tips. Even though fares have been raised these new burdens have an impact on the drivers' take home pay. Don't forget they are also responsible for it's upkeep and repair.

When you think of the people that take cabs everywhere, it's not the average New Yorker. Most people use the subway. Cabs are definitely a luxury when it costs $8 to get to from 23rd to 45th street going up the northbound 8th Avenue. That's crazy! Again, the working class(cabbies) are asked to assume the burden. A burden that will benefit the rich. I don't blame the cabbies for striking. Let the rich New Yorkers walk or take the subway like normal New Yorkers. I have no absolutely sympathy and the greedy cabbies that didn't strike should be ashamed of themselves.

Molly I'm surprised that you fell for the spin by the media. Most of whom I'm sure take cabs.

I ask you to read this or part of this blog by Melissa Plaut

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/opinion/nyregionopinions/02CIplaut.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Love the podcast!

No comments: