Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Honeycomb

I want a tablet today not because I need it but because I want it.  I would have loved to have an Android tablet but the interface is unfinished.  The fact that Samsung had to put 2.2 (Froyo) on a tablet was a big fail.  I understand coming to market quickly is important, but when it's at the expense of the product, it hurts you.  Consumers need just one reason NOT to get your product over the HOT product.  When you're competing with a company that consistently makes slick, polished products, you've got to come out of the gate running!  PERIOD.

Honeycomb should have shipped with all Android tablets automatically.  You can't compete with the market leader if you don't have a unified interface. You have got to wow people. Give them a real interface, not a piecemeal one.  If "regular" people have to "figure it out"...they aren't going to.  They'll just go for the "easy" one that everyone has.

**I know criticized HP for not releasing the HP sooner, but it seems like they're making sure their product interface, accessories are ready to go.  Good for them.

I applaud the Android team for realizing this with Ice Cream Sandwich.  Being a consumer, I'd wait for this update before I'd buy an Android tablet.

No comments: