Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Closer to the Touch

The date fast approaches for the HP (Palm) Touchpad and I’d like to drop my predictions.  

  • There will be acclaim for the design, packaging and build quality.
  • WebOs will be smooth, but people will miss all the gestures.
  • Light to medium demand.
  • Lots of promotional pricing.
  • Low stock will lead to false demand.
Deep down I want the Touchpad to be a success.  Competition is the only way products get better.  I own a Pre and HP is offering $50 off for having a Pre.  I think that’s a nice gesture, but for a $499 device it doesn’t make much difference.  Apps make the difference.  I’ll say it again... there needs to be a Nook app. 

Most people I talk to have no need for a tablet.  They just want one.  Since I have a Nook, I’ve got my reading situation covered.  It serves its function of carrying around books (no frayed edges or extra weight on my shoulders).  My EVO is a great for browsing the web, checking my RSS feeds, Twitter, Facebook, etc. 

A tablet doesn’t fit in my tech world yet, but I want one to play with too.

No comments: