Friday, March 14, 2008

What it feels like for a Legend



Legend has it that when Madonna first came to New York that she said, "drop me in the center of everything". The driver dropped her in Times Square! Now Times Square is the center of tourism in New York City and New Yorkers actually stay away from it as much as possible. That's no so much the case with Madonna

My first introduction to Madonna was with the song, "Borderline". The hook and beat were infectious (remember those few chords that the beginning) and her voice was young and the chorus soulful. When the song/video for "Lucky Star" came out I was hooked. Where did this girl that could dance, sing and create her own look come from? When her videos dropped they were events (There was even a contest to create a video for True Blue). Depending on how old you are you remember the hype over "Like a Virgin"(the one song I didn't like until it was redone and "Papa Don't Preach. I had a conversation with my mom about abortion because of that song.

I never bought an album until "I'm Breathless" with the infamous single"Vogue" and then "Erotic" in 1992 with the "Sex" book (which I still have). "Vogue", said it was okay to be who you are...that was all I needed (the movie Truth or Dare didn't hurt either).

Madonna, Madonna...congrats! . Keep challenging your audience and yourself with new sounds and visuals. I'm always interested. I can't wait until "Hard Candy" (April 29, 2008)


No comments: