Monday, September 17, 2007

Thumbs Up!


The Bubble. Sexy, heartwarming, young, idealistic and chilling. That's just a start to what I felt about the movie. I don't know why it got mixed reviews, but I guess every one's entitled to their own opinion. I thought the story of two men in love/lust torn between two countries to be interesting and discouraging.

At first I thought it was going to be some bad "Threesome" imitation, but it was so much more. These friends had their own lives that meet in their apartment in Tel Aviv. I won't bore you with a synopsis, but I will say if you live in a major metropolitan community it rings so true. Eating out, parties, social drama, dating, str8's and bents together. I wanted to book a flight and head there myself, but along with the good there's the unfortunate relations between two countries.

The theme of two different cultures coming together and how one is accepting and the other not so accepting happened to me. A long time ago (back in 1997) I dated someone from El Salvador. He was very welcoming, but all of his friends spoke Spanish around me. At first I was annoyed, but it was great to see friends together in their element having a great time. I heard Spanish so much that I began to understand certain words and phrases. He on the other hand, when with my friends he didn't quite get all the jokes and cultures references to TV shows, music and movies. It wasn't intentional, but I could tell he felt left out.

Eytan Fox again makes a movie that asks questions.

What can bridge a conflict of cultures? Is it understanding or war? Neither, I think it boils down to authenticity. Is this Palestinian or Israeli man an enemy because of where he's from or because of what he believes in? Ashraf made a horrible choice because he wasn't thinking from his own truth, but of his country's truth. A truth that wasn't his own but because of his family and a tragic event felt compelled live in an unauthentic way. Of course it's not that simple. It's naive to think that it's so black or white. Israel must have it's checkpoints and protect itself as much as it can, but they must realize that every Palestinian isn't out to destroy them.

I love the title. Bubbles float above, some for an extended period of time, but eventually they all pop. After the movie was over I felt deflated, defeated and unresolved. I actually don't mind that. It's the movie with the cookie cutter endings that I can't stand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes this is one of those movies that I will attempt to see.

Language is a defence mechanism - group dynamics and using language as a tool allows us to feel a sense of community. It keeps us safe from 'prying' eyes (insecurities). There are always 'cultural' snobs and gay ones are the worst.

I remembered that especially when you're in Singapore speaking various derivatives of the Chinese language. The gay asians tend to do that too - I have always found it rather impolite...the reason why I make my friends speak English all the time if I am around other cultures so that they are part of the conversation as they are a part of my life. I'm quite vocal about this and the guys need a firm hand sometimes to get them to behave.

Only when I am alone with them is when we speak our native tongue.

He must have been a sweetheart though...Spanish!Hmmmm

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.