Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Question

An article in backstage.com called "New Faces of Drama" discussed playwriting with a panel of promising playwrights. I was inspired by one of the participants' comments:

Sarah Treem, on the other hand, said A Feminine Ending, which will receive its world premiere at Playwrights in October, is totally drawn from personal experience. "One of my teachers said to try and figure out what is the dramatic question of your life at the moment," she said. "At any given moment there is something that you are obsessing about, and a lot of times you don't even know what it is until you start writing. I had just graduated from school and a lot of good-intentioned people were telling me it's going to take women longer. So my question was, well, why?"

The dramatic question? Goodness, a couple of plays can come out of that one.

No comments: