Friday, June 29, 2007

Jerry Likes My Corn


Absurd title for a song in a very interesting show. Grey Gardens is kind of like a before and after of Jackie Kennedy-Onassis' relatives. It starts with them wealthy (1st Act) to them living with 52 cats, racoons and bugs (2nd Act). Very tragic.

The first act had no real action or conflict. The only real reason it exists is to inform the 2nd act, when we see what happened to the mother and daughter's relationship. I have to say the 2nd act had some brilliant moments. Mary Louise Wilson's character work had levels and was tragic without her playing tragic. I almost shedded a tear during the "Jerry Likes My Corn". Email me if you want to know what happens during it cause I don't want to give it away if someone doesn't want to hear it.

Overall, it was an entertaining night at the theatre, but I'm glad it didn't win Best Musical. The book had too many problems. I wanted to see how they got to living like they did. The first act was just too much exposition. I recommend it, only if you've seen Spring Awakening.

No comments: