Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Help These Children

This broke my heart when I heard it. This is from a teacher friend of mine. I thought I would spread the word. This is from his myspace page.


Grease...is the word

Hi Friends!!!

I need your support. Actually, the kids need your support.

I have been directing "Grease" with the Dual Language Middle School in the Upper West Side and after almost nine months of working at this production, giggly adolescents are finally going on stage this Thursday, May 31st at 5:00 pm. The school has not made any publicity at all and are just kind of hoping that people will show up. They have a half day that day, so many of the students will be gone and won't come back to see the production. Some of them have expressed that even their parents aren't going to attend. Can you believe that?My heart breaks just imagining a poor 13 year old watching a friend receive a proud hug from her mom as he just picks up his backpack and heads to the train by himself.

Most of these kids have no experience whatsoever and is the first time they are involved in a play. I would really hate for them to perform to an empty house, specially after such a long time working at this production and having had their original director quit on them.

Guys...if you have an hour to spare (yes, I cut down the script to under an hour), please make an effort to support the kids. I will be eternally grateful to you and I know they will be extremely proud of performing for as many people as possible. So...

"...make it a point to stop by the joint...Rydell High, 5 o'clock on Thursday night..."

Dual Language Middle School @ PS 89
92nd Street (b/w CPW and Columbus)
B or C train to 96th st.
Thursday, May 31st
5:00 pm
Free admission

Grease and peace, I mean,
Grace and peace to all!

No comments: