Friday, February 25, 2011

Need or Want?

Need or Want?

There’s a tablet revolution out there.  From HP, Motorola to Dell, everyone has a tablet coming out. What need are they filling?  This market didn’t even exist a year ago.  Everyday people barely use the full potential of their smartphones and computers outside of maxing out their hard drives.

Computers and smartphones fill a need.  Take me for example, I’m not home much during the day and if I want to have a place for my email, web surfing and productivity applications I can’t do better than a smartphone, because it fits in my bag or pocket and I can take it anywhere.  I rarely take my notebook with me anymore.  It is just too heavy.

Email, texting, RSS reader, camera, phone, task manager, etc. A device that can send me reminders on the go and can be my “hub of information” is what I need.  I have an HTC (Android) device and I like the operating system and HTC’s hardware.  I’m very pleased. 

In comes the tablet device with a large screen that can be a Personal Information Manager (PIM).  Why would I need that?  How does that fit with my other electronics?  I have a Nook, so I can read and my phone can take care of everything else.  Would it be fun to have a tablet for my video, etc. Yes, but not enough to spend the $500 and above price.  Even HP (Palm) whom I love, is going to have to work to get my money.  I want it, but I surely don’t need it.  Not when I spend most of my time on my music player listening to podcasts and then reading on my Nook. 

I’m just trying to resist the desire to have the “new toy”.  I need a more compelling reason to get it besides, “It looks and feels cool”.

Do I need another device?

No, but I want one.

No comments: