Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Taking a Leap

Pre or the “other phone”


What do I get?

Do I switch carriers?

Do I purchase a first generation phone?

What about the video camera?


What’s wrong with my phone now? Nothing!! I know that but what do I do? Wait? I feel I’m always waiting for the next thing (phone, computer, TV, etc.) but I feel that next year the palm pre will be even better next year with a redesigned keyboard and video camera. Those items aren’t deal breakers, but for $199. I’d love to have them. It’s hard to purchase the pre when I can get the “other” phone for the same price with a video camera. Decisions! Decisions!


Phone carriers in the United States are in two different camps. GSM and CDMA. I have Sprint so I have a CDMA phone. CDMA’s have great data service, but one thing I can’t do is talk on the phone and surf the web at the same time. No biggie. I don’t talk on the phone often anyway. I want a data device/communication device. Plus other carriers have be strained with the “other” phone. Their plans are a lot more expensive as well.


The pre is a 1st generation device and normally people warn against people purchasing a 1st gen, but this case is different. When you stack this 1st gen product up against other phones released this year it competes rather nicely. That says so a lot about the thought put into this device. Aside from a few design flaws (keyboard)/omissions(video camera) it’s great and it’s a touchscreen phone. I just love the idea of a touchscreen phone.


Yes the palm pre will be my next phone. I’m just waiting until I pull the trigger. So to sum it up…


2007 – Blackberry 8830

2009 – palm pre

2011 – that “other” phone (by that time it will be perfect and hopefully on a different carrier)

No comments: