Monday, March 23, 2009

Off Broadway Shines


Wow I don't remember the last time there was so much theatre written by black folk that was being staged at the same time. Outside of Hedda Gabbler (with Mary Louise Parker) it's the only reason I have to see the theatre. Everything else out there seems forgettable. Here's my list.


Ruined by Lynn Nottage
I love this playwright. She wrote of my favorite plays of this decade Intimate Apparell. Her stories are like fabric. Woven with care and attention to detail. I can't wait to see it.

The Good Negro by Tracey Scott Wilson
Don't know much about it, but it has quite a buzz going about it.


Inked Baby by Christina Anderson
Sounds like a good drama! More melodramatic, but at least black people aren't dancing and singing. I like singing and dancing, but it's great to see a variety of artistic expression.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And don't forget Angela's Mixtape By Eisa Davis. Eisa was the actress who played Stew's mother in Passing Strange, she was also shortlisted for a Pulitzer for one of her plays a few years back. Her play is coming in April, saw a reading of it last year at an event. Five fierce black women in it! Fabulous!