Thursday, November 1, 2007

34th Annual Halloween Day Parade


Well, I did it. It was exciting, draining and well worth it. I took over 146 pictures (I love rechargeable batteries) that I plan to upload at some point (hehehe). Walking in the parade I got to see lots of great costumes, but not everything because I was so far back in line.

It all started around 5:30pm when I got ready in the private washroom at work. It took me about thirty minutes to put the make up and blood on. B and I met at Crate and Barrel and headed to the starting point for the parade walkers. Anyone can walk in the parade as long as you have a costume on. Although we found that wasn't enforced as strictly as we thought. From about 7:45pm to about 8:50pm we waited with a costumed mob of people trying to get into the parade. When we were released from "holding" and let loose to walk we got a chance to see the creativity and spirit of New York.

All kinds of people come out to the Halloween Parade, old, young, differently abled, gay, straight, trans...you name it...after all this is New York City. I saw a lot of the cliche costumes i.e. cat, pimps, V Venetta guys, vampires (like me), but it's not about that. I love seeing New Yorkers come out to see and be seen.

The entire evening was like a big party. There were a few fights, but they were at bars not in the street. Although I found out when I got home that there was a shooting near Union Square.

Our walk in the parade ended about 10:45pm and a few friends went to Splash to have a good ole time. Splash was fun. More picture taking, catching up and meeting new people.

I walked in the apartment about 4am and washed off all that makeup and went to bed. It was so hard getting up this morning, but I did it! Overall, a great time was had this Halloween. We'll see if I do it again next year.

Peace

No comments: