Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Gleefully Excited


I saw Glee last night and loved it. There I said it!

I had heard about the show for a while, but felt that I wouldn’t buy into the hype before I was ready. All I have to say is, I’m glad I waited until last night to watch it because I couldn’t wait to see another episode. My high school experience was segmented. I went to a Visual and Performing Arts high school and was in the Concert Band, Pep Band and Orchestra. On top of that I was quiet and weighed about 300lbs. Not the best mix. Drama Club & Chorus was something I dreamed about doing, but didn’t feel comfortable pursuing because I didn’t like the way I looked and wasn’t comfortable with being in the spotlight. I think the first time I danced in front of anyone was at our Senior class trip to Jamaica and I was very tipsy when I did that (the legal age to drink in Jamaica was/is 16 y/o)

It seemed liked Drama and Chorus was a great way to express yourself, but I was way to shy to do it. That didn’t change until I went to college lost some weight. When the theatre bug bit me, I knew I could do this forever. Glee is a show about kids that want to belong to a community and be proud of themselves. The bonds that you make when working together creates some amazing friendships. I’m so envious of the kids portrayed because I wish I had the courage in high school perform like that. To this day I don’t know of anything else that would give me joy like performing unless I was working as an editor at Harper’s Bazaar.

Shout outs to:
Lea Michele – your "Take a Bow" was amazing. Nice to hear you belt
Matthew Morrison “Go head girl, go head get down”
Jane Lynch – “when I saw an elementary school production of Hair”

On top of my connection to it. They're got a great team of writers, actors and producers that make this show one to watch this season. I just hope it doesn't go the way of Pushing Daisies. It always seems that good show don't do well. (that's how I see it)

No comments: